I want you to imagine what you think a dog named Fluffy would look like...take a few moments.
Smallish? Lots of fluffy hair? Maybe a bow? How about one of those lap dogs that sit contentedly with you keeping you company for hours! That would be the exact opposite of this Cobb Cabin pet! Fluffy is our 6 year old 110 lb Labrador Retriever & German Shepherd mix. He is big, black, active and super friendly. He spends most of his time outside (his choice) where he patrols our 2 acres keeping watch for rabbits, birds, deer, racoon, and whatever else might threaten his "herd." He has some strong breed traits, the best is that we all are his sheep (except for Mr. who is clearly his boss). He is the first dog I have ever had, and quite seriously the only one I trust 100%.
He was another rescue of sorts. Friends of ours had a black Lab visit their German Shephard and she had puppies. Puppies they weren't intending (they've taken care of any future litters) and when we were shown a picture of the last one they still had, our kids fell in love. Fluffy became ours. All 20 lbs of him. He was fuzzy and cute and hardly made a sound. People kept commenting about his paws. We just laughed and enjoyed our little bundle of fur. Then he grew and grew and grew some more.
He takes his job as the shephard of his flock (us) very seriously. He has quite a lot to warn us about. suspisious BUNNY! dangerous DEER! vicious BABY BUNNY! The neighbor is OUT! We hear about everything that might wander by. Even in the middle of the night. He sleeps on our front porch, right outside our bedroom and can go from a deep sleep on the porch to full alert in our front yard in about .5 seconds. Which is about the same time it takes to wake up Mr. and me from a deep sleep. It takes a little longer to get us back off the ceiling. ;-)
That being said, we don't mind at all (much). Those same shepharding traits can be helpful. I can always tell which neighbor Mr. is chatting with because Fluffy will sit at that corner of our property and wait for him. If the kids are playing outside and they wander off the property, I hear about it right away. When everyone is gone for the day, he won't eat until at least one family member is back home. If I'm home alone during the day, I feel a bit more secure just because he's there. Fluffy would step between danger and any member of the Cobb family.
No comments:
Post a Comment